Friday, October 21, 2011

breakfast at cafe xxii, pyrmont.

Cafe XXII
22 Union Street
Pyrmont, Sydney
Tel: +61 (02) 9552 3093
Website: http://www.cafexxii.com.au/

I'm always on the look out for a good, hearty breakfast and R gets his craving for a big eggy breakfast once so very often. In Sydney, there's an abundant number of breakfast places but I have to be honest, sometimes the choices can be a little boring. Not that boring isn't good if it's done well.

Florentine
Poached Eggs, Toasted Muffin, Smoked Salmon, Spinach, Hollandaise


Truffled Scrambled Eggs on Brioche
with Sides of Hashbrown & Sausage

Cafe XXII's breakfast menu serves up the classic favourites like Eggs Benedict and Big Breakfast but they also have interesting items or two such as a Brioche Crunch French Toast and a Breakfast Bruschetta. I love the casual vibe of the cafe but the food is honestly 'hit and miss'. R's Truffled Scrambled Eggs turned out pretty tasty and cooked really well but I didn't fancy it paired with the crumbly Brioche. Sticking to a simple slice of sourdough or even better, white would have been much better. The additional sides as you can see from the picture, are not there to impress. The Florentine fared better but the eggs were probably 30 to 40 seconds overcooked and I would have loved for the hollandaise to have a tad less acidity. Having said that, I did like it enough to want to order it again if and when I return.

So far, I think I've had better luck finding brekkies places that hit the spot better at Surry Hills. Maybe I should just stick to exploring that area more for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment