Tuesday, January 02, 2007

good ol' chicken.

Sin Kee Famous Chicken Rice & Fish Porridge
Block 159 Mei Chin Road #02-89G
Mei Chin Road Market & Cooked Food Centre
Opening hours: 10am - 8pm; closed on Mondays

I could have chicken rice every other day and I'd probably not get sick of it. Well, that is if I don't actually fall sick from eating too much of it. Problem is though, not every chicken rice hits the right spot. There are some with the chicken too dry, some with the rice too oily and the list goes on. Sin Kee's chicken rice keeps me satisfied though, despite its hits and misses.













For some, the chicken rice may be about the rice or it could be about the chilli. For me, it's about the chicken. Sin Kee's chicken is served with its bones intact but its meat is tender and tasty. My favourite part; the generous amount of soy sauce & sesame oil that was drizzled all over the chicken. As salty and unhealthy as it is, I always love to put the sauce onto my rice so it never really matters is the chicken rice isn't that tasty in the first place. Yup. I'm talking about Sin Kee's chicken RICE. It doesn't have that much of a chicken flavour. It's not oily but I think it would do better with more fragrance and flavour.

Besides the ordinary-tasting bean sprouts and the chicken gizzard, Dad didn't forget to order my favourite raw fish. Didn't exactly know the name of the fish they used but I'm a sucker for any type of raw fish. I loved it cos they sliced it up into decent sizes. I've eaten some where they were cut so small and thin that I could swallow without chewing them. Anyways, it was nicely seasoned with soy sauce, sesame oil and the garnishing on the top which my young cousins pushed to the side cos no one loves all the "smelly" vegetables.














There's another Sin Kee that's located at Margaret Drive. This Sin Kee is the original one. The family decided to take a break for 3 years and then reopened at Mei Chin Food Centre. The one that you might have tried at Margaret Drive is opened by his ex-employees. The version there is also delicious but I remember it to be much oilier. Both get the thumbs up from me anyways. I'll be back, for sure.

3 comments:

  1. pls remember to talk about the fried carrot cake at amk...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yah.. forgot abt that already. =p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for writing this.

    ReplyDelete