Sunday, November 26, 2006

what queue?

Come Daily Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee 天天来炒福建虾面
Block 127, Toa Payoh Lorong 1
#02-27

Opening Hours: 9am - 9pm, closed on Mondays















Not sure if anyone managed to catch ‘Where the Queue Starts’ (排排站,查查看), a foodie programme hosted by Bryan Wong & Cavin Soh which recently ended its run on Channel U. The concept behind this show was rather interesting cos the hosts dressed up as patrol officers and went round to source for food stalls that have long snaking queues. I managed to catch a couple of their Sunday reruns and I think Bryan Wong is such a funny host but that of course, is not the point of this entry.

On one particular Sunday weeks ago, Sis, mum & I caught an episode where they were introducing this Hokkien Prawn Mee stall in Toa Payoh. We ended up at this stall for lunch that day cos sis is a sucker for Hokkien Prawn Mee with extra lime. The amount of lime she actually puts in the dish kills the prawn stock and makes it sour if you ask me. Anyways, there was no queue in sight although the noodles did take a while to arrive at our table.

Frankly, my family and I have visited this stall before. It’s supposed to be quite famous so the show definitely didn’t get it wrong on that part. However, I was sorely disappointed that day cos it didn’t taste like how I remembered it to be. The guests on the show were right. The noodles were infused with the flavour from the tasty prawn stock but were way too soggy. Pork lard was used to make the dish more fragrant and all the guests were raving about it. In my opinion though, I thought that they were too frivolous with it. I think its use is necessary for the flavour but I don’t think I like it much when every bite of noodle I take has bits of lard in it. I ended up picking out most of it.














The Hokkien Prawn Mee packs good flavour and makes a tasty meal but if Bryan Wong and Cavin Soh throw me the question of whether the Hokkien Mee’s worth queuing up for; I’d agree with Chew Chor Meng in saying… ‘it’s not worth it’.

No comments:

Post a Comment