Sunday, January 08, 2006

soul food.

Ah Chiang Porridge Pte Ltd
Block 57 Seng Poh Rd #01-72
(Near Tiong Bahru Market)

I'm still recovering from a week long of sickness. I've had aches and sore throat one day, cold and blocked nose on another, then coughing on yet another. Thank god the work week is over. It's been a terribly hectic and tiring week although I did get quite an adrenaline rush amongst the "hecticness" of all that was going on. Good start to the year I say.

Porridge is really my soul food when I get ill. In fact, I love it so much I can have it anytime, any day and I did have it 2 days in a row this week. Then this morning, I had porridge, AGAIN! It was at my fave porridge stall in Tiong Bahru...

My family has always loved waking up in the mornings and driving all the way just to wait almost an hour for the bowl of porridge to arrive on our table. It's really been a while since we last ate there and it's funny that when we got there we realised Ah Chiang had gone PTE LTD! Even a nice little porridge stall in a coffee shop could go PTE LTD! The coffee shop has lost the roti prata stall and now gained a you zha kueh stall which I think is quite smart considering that it complements porridge better than roti prata. The old uncle is no longer cooking in the front but in a back kitchen. They open even in the nights now and service is much better; quicker. I think it's all in the mind but cos it was suddenly so "available", dad complained that the porridge wasn't piping hot enough blah blah but I do agree that it's no longer as smoky as before. He cooked it with charcoal before right in front of our eyes. I'm sure he still does the same but when you can't see it, you could always come up with different excuses as to why the food tastes different now.













So anyways, I enjoyed breakfast. I always do in fact, with the family. This time, we were complete. Just like old times.

1 comment:

  1. Sooks! yes, this is my fave place too!!

    ReplyDelete